We called for a modeling competition in contact mechanics and invited theorists and modelers alike to make predictions on a mathematically well-defined problem. The deadline was June 30, 2016.
The problem can be specified as follows:
– linear elasticity and small-slope approximation
– short range adhesion
– self-affine rough surface, topography provided numerically in real space and in Fourier space.
Participants were asked to make predictions that we could test by solving the problem numerically.
– Detailed information on the contact mechanics competition
– Surface in various representations
– Hints for experimentalists on how to rescale parameters
Selected results from reference calculations (posted May 26, 2017):